incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New Chair (Re: cvs commit : incubator STATUS)
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:06:57 GMT

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 08:51  AM, Sander Striker wrote:

> [...]

:/

I really hate to keep harping on this, but the whole
idea of the PMC Chair having "power" somehow implies that
the PMC itself is under the "whim" of the Chair. Yes, the
chair has the ultimate responsibility for the PMC, since
the board has delegated their authority to him/her. Yet
the PMC would gripe and complain if the board "told them"
how to operate. If people are looking for some
PMC Chair authority figure to "do things" for them so
they can follow lemming-like wherever he/she says, then
I'm glad I'm resigning as chair, because that's not
*my* vision. And it's certainly not been my experience
with any other PMC I've been on.