incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:26:11 GMT

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 03:07  PM, Ted Leung wrote:

> On 9/18/2003 4:46 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 08:16  PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>>> See my previous post. The Incubator itself can accept projects, if
>>> it so
>>> chooses. The project can then sit in the Incubator as long as the
>>> Incubator wants to allow it. But for exit, it will need *some* PMC to
>>> accept it, or for the Board to agree to creating a new PMC for it.
>>>

>> Plus, we need someone in the Incubator to *accept* being
>> the official shepherd for the podling. We cannot accept
>> a project into Incubator without someone with the Incubator
>> watching over it.
>>
> Jim,
> What about a case like me, where I'm a member shepherding XMLBeans on
> behalf of the XML PMC?  How do I fit into the incubator?  Am I just an
> incubator committer, am I part of the PMC?  It's a little confusing.
> I completely agree that someone has to be the go-to person for a
> podling.

Darn good question.

I consider a person in your position as a committer to Incubator but
not ("yet"??) a PMC member. This is to avoid excessive churn within
the PMC structure itself (otherwise we'd have PMC members coming
and going with each podling). Agreed that we need a better and
more official (and documented!) description of this
position, however.