incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jagunet.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New Chair (Re: cvs commit : incubator STATUS)
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:12:08 GMT

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 06:27  PM, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:29:16 -0400
> (Subject: Re: [VOTE] New Chair (Re: cvs commit : incubator STATUS))
> Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I think it would be almost obscenely ironic
>> if the Incubator, which is designed to help ensure the "Apache
>> Way" in building communities and projects, has a PMC structure
>> which is totally unique within the ASF.
>
> "obscenely ironic"?? .. oh, really? Don't you think it is *the best
> practice*?

No, I don't actually. One reason is that it goes against the
whole core idea that the "power base" if we want to call it
that, rests with the PMC Chairs (or co-chairs or whatever)
rather than the actual PMC members themselves. The PMC
Chair is not some sort of king or dictator or even
President. He/she doesn't make decisions "for" the PMC.
Saying that we need more people with "power" implies
a large variance of power between PMC members and the
chair, which is not the case. In effect, ALL PMC
members are vice-Chairs.

The fact that there are PMC members who aren't strongly
motivated or active does not mean that we somehow need
a PMC Chair to "take everything over". It means the PMC
itself needs to be scrubbed, people-wise. People get spread
too thin and trick themselves into thinking that they can
do adequate jobs when the simple truth is that they
can't.