incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for Guidance
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:49:45 GMT
> With thanks.  Will take this approach.  Was not sure if you all wanted
> the incubator to run by these rules given its slightly different focus
> for documentation.
>
> One caveat - at some point the actual policy document is (I would
> assume) going to require a vote of the Incubator PMC.

CTR is a vote by the PMC; it just has lazy consensus.  My theory was
(and still is) that the people who are actively volunteering for a
project, and have been for long enough to be recognized as a voter,
should be the ones setting the rules for how the project should
proceed within its designated charter (set by the board).  As long
as we don't stifle the volunteers, there will be enough new people
to replace the bored/busy ones at any given time, and it is that
multiplicity of views that provides the peer review needed to
protect the ASF.  Your document is ample evidence of that.  The most
important thing the PMC has to do is continuously welcome new
volunteers when they show themselves able and willing.

....Roy