incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:16:33 GMT
> FWIW, my opinion is that standards-based Directory + Identity services
> could make up a natural "semantic domain" (actually more natural than
> "XML") and we should focus on defining this domain, rather than what
> languages or language-specific extensions will be supported (much as
> that diminishes the importance of JNDI and the extended Java APIs that
> I am personally looking forward to ;-)). Then we need to make the
> explicit commitment that the core solutions implemented and the
> eventual TLP will support *all* languages and *all* computing
> platforms. Can we all agree to this?

Clarification: the project only needs to agree to welcome volunteers
who wish to work on that code within the project.  You don't need to
support the code -- only the community, so that folks who come along
wanting to support their own languages can do so.  There is no need
to support languages that have no volunteers.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message