incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:16:33 GMT
> FWIW, my opinion is that standards-based Directory + Identity services
> could make up a natural "semantic domain" (actually more natural than
> "XML") and we should focus on defining this domain, rather than what
> languages or language-specific extensions will be supported (much as
> that diminishes the importance of JNDI and the extended Java APIs that
> I am personally looking forward to ;-)). Then we need to make the
> explicit commitment that the core solutions implemented and the
> eventual TLP will support *all* languages and *all* computing
> platforms. Can we all agree to this?

Clarification: the project only needs to agree to welcome volunteers
who wish to work on that code within the project.  You don't need to
support the code -- only the community, so that folks who come along
wanting to support their own languages can do so.  There is no need
to support languages that have no volunteers.

....Roy