incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF member role - accountable to whom
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:10:53 GMT

On Sunday, Sep 21, 2003, at 06:08 Europe/Rome, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:49:24 -0400
> (Subject: RE: ASF member role - accountable to whom)
> "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>
>>> "Meritocracy"?
>> Excuse me, but volume of messages has nothing to do with merit.
>
> Statistics would not tell a lie. No prejudice, no favoritism.

Utterly wrong. Statistics are numbers. Numbers don't imply meaning in
an absolute way. It's not the numbers that are important, but the
meaning that is associated to them.

> You can use statistics in *good* manner. Not "make bad use".

what? banchmarks have always had a different meaning depending on what
side of the fence you look at them. I would say the opposite: it's hard
to see statistics used in a good manner as they can be made to mean
almost anything.

Counting email messages (just like counting CVS commits) has no merit
meaning associated to them, just like Noel suggests citing Roy as an
example.

And one counter-example is enough to throw your model down the drain.

if you run agora instead, you'll see a different picture. yet, I was
careful not to indicate any number, because numbers tend to irritate
people since they are so easy to compare.

> --
Stefano.