incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF member role - accountable to whom
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:23:58 GMT

On Sunday, Sep 21, 2003, at 05:40 Europe/Rome, Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Steven Noels wrote:
>>

>>> I just want to say that this requirement of sponsors which should be
>>> members was totally unclear to me when I started talking and working
>>> with the BEA peeps (Cliff Schmidt). So even if this was meant to be
>>> by
>>> design, it wasn't very obvious from the information available at the
>>> time.
>>>

>> I'm a bit confused, so my apologies if this question is answered
>> somewhere. Am I reading it right that to be a sponsor for a project
>> in the
>> incubator one has to be an ASF member?
>>

> Based on the aggregation of information of the last few days - it
> appears that this is *not* official policy.  However, it does appear
> that this is assumed policy in some quarters.

There is no policy yet, but if the incubator was to make a policy, I
would be against having an ASF committer which is not a member or
officer being an incubating sponsor.

Why? simple enough. If that person was believed good for the job by
his/her peers, he would have been already a member or an officer. Or,
his/her action would make him/her visible for the next election, if
deserved.

Ah, at the end, if a committer considers this unfair, maybe he/she
should question him/herself before questioning hundreds of his/her
peers.

--
Stefano.