incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <>
Subject RE: contributors licence
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:29:47 GMT
On Wednesday, September 24, 2003 12:59 AM, Danny Angus wrote:

> Is there a contributors licence which can be signed by an employer on
> behalf of a commiter who's IP is generally assigned to their employer?
> I have an agreement with my employer, but would much rather that they
> made the agreement with the ASF

This is something you will need to address with the ASF Board by writing
to board at  While I certainly can't speak for the board,
my understanding is:

- you must still individually sign the Contributor License Agreement
- but you could still propose that your employer also sign and submit
a CLA to the board, which could cover the IP that they own.

It's important for you, as an individual, to still sign a CLA for any
contributions that you submit that aren't assigned to your employer.
Also, once you become a committer, the ASF doesn't want to have to
track your employment status to ensure that your contributions are
always covered by some agreement.  And of course since the ASF is
really about individuals, it makes sense for each individual to make
the commit to the terms of the CLA, regardless of their employment

Again, this is just my understanding.  You should definitely address
the board.  I'm only hoping that this note saves both you and the
board a little time in describing a couple of the issues.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message