incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Getting the distribution onto a download site somewhere ...
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:31:04 GMT
OK, based on everything I've read from this and a few of the
other threads on this list, which I've just caught up to (I 
picked a bad weekend to attend a wedding that took me off email
;-), I am going to propose to the other XMLBeans folks that we 
do the following:

1. Create a build of a cvs snapshot and name the file:
"incubated-xmlbeans-1.0.0.zip" (Ted's more serious suggestion
than the one below, although that one made me smile more).

2. Edit the README.txt file to include a paragraph explaining
that this build is a snapshot of an incubated project that is
not yet officially endorsed by the ASF.

3. Add a note to the XMLBeans project web site making sure the
incubation status is clear.

Unless there are other suggestions, I'm going to assume this is
a reasonable process to follow for an incubated project, which 
needs to make binaries available in order to help build a 
community.

Cliff


On Monday, September 22, 2003 11:40 AM, Ted Leung wrote:

> Okay guys,  I get the message.  I'll ask XML beans to make a
> "xmlbeans-is-not-part-of-the-ASF-1.0" release.
> 
> On 9/22/2003 10:09 AM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> 
>> Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>> 
>> 
>>>> i think the point is that a podling is *not* part of the
>>>> asf, and is therefore not entitled to distribute something
>>>> with the asf's name on it.  if the podling graduates, i don't
>>>> see any bar to whatever packages were built during incubation
>>>> being retitled as asf ones. 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> There are several things I do not understand here. First of all,
>>> IMO, by accepting a project for incubation, it is part of the ASF.
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> no, it is a *candidate to become* part of the asf.  if it fails to
>> exit the incubator, for whatever reason, it doesn't wander off into
>> the sunset bearing the asf name with it. :-)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> For whatever
>>> other reason am I expected to sign a contribution agreement at the
>>> beginning? From your point of view, it would be suffigient to sign
>>> when the project exits incubation. 
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> because the code is being stored on asf infrastructure, among other
>> things. 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> Next, assuming that my point is wrong, I would assume that
>>> incubation is targetted to be a process of transition. Which means,
>>> that a project is at some point perhaps not completely ready, but
>>> with a sufficient progress. What good does it, to insist in the
>>> "final 20 percent" or whatever you are missing? 
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> i'm having trouble parsing that, so i can't respond intelligently.
>> can you rephrase? 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> Finally, you should not forget that incubated projects are
>>> frequently mature and well maintained. What good does it, to forbid
>>> them to publish, for example, a release that is "identical to the
>>> last public release, except that the package names are being
>>> updated". IMO this is the least what users can expect to guide them
>>> in their own transition as soon as possible. 
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> as far as i'm concerned, they can publish whatever they want -- but
>> they can't call it an asf release.  i don't think any harm would be
>> done if a ga release were made during incubation, labeled with the
>> pre-incubation name (i.e., not mentioning the asf at all), but i'd
>> have to consider it more to feel sure about that. 
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message