incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question time !
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:09:11 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Why are we discussing/considering the possibility of anything other
>> than a TLP incubation?  If a project is comming in as part of another
>> project than an existing PMC is bringing it it in and doing so in
>> accordance with the policies, procedures and due-diligence that have
>> been granted under their respective charters. We may well be making a
>> wopping big blunder here in that much of what we are discussing
>> undermines the responsibilities already discharged to existing PMCs.
>> Instead, I propose that we re-focus our attention to role of the
>> Incubator PMC as the adjunct to the board in dealing with new TLP
>> candidates.
>

> Read this [1] and you will have all the answers.
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/resolution.html

Nicola:

I'll draw your attention to the first paragraph of said charter:

  interests of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's
  purpose to establish a Project Management Committee charged with
  accepting new products into the Foundation, providing guidance and
  support to help each new product engender their own collaborative
  community, educating new developers in the philosophy and guidelines
  for collaborative development as defined by the members of the
  Foundation, and proposing to the board the promotion of such
  products to independent PMC status once their community has
  reached maturity.

The phrase "independent PMC status" is pertinent. Reading on in the
charter you will find wording that expands the above core, however the
expansion is hard to rationalize beyond incorporation of "full projects"
within umbrella PMCs.  I think it is totally reasonable to assume
project assimilation in not within the scope of the incubator. The
difference between assimilation and what is describe in the charter is
clear.  The charter is dealing with the incorporation and development of
identifiable communities that are expected to take on a role of
autonomous decision making.  Actions of assimilation do not lead to a
new group identities or supplementary decision making groups.

What this means is that we are concerned with:

  (a) TLP style exit
  (b) sub-project exit via an umbrella project

However - the word on the street is that (b) is bad thing. Which leaves (a).

Stephen.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org