incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator, exit and publication
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:15:54 GMT

robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 08:13 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> A release requires 3 +1 and a majority of those voting, wherein
>> the only people allowed to vote are the PMC responsible for that
>> code.  In other words, the usual rules apply -- it is simply harder
>> to get the votes.
>

> just to make sure that i understand the general ASF policy correctly
> (hopefully people will correct any misunderstandings):
>
> 1. does this mean a vote of the pmc which is responsible for the code
> (rather than a vote of committers for that code where only pmc members
> have binding votes)? or can the actual mechanics of the vote vary (per
> project) provided that the pmc the ultimate authority approving the
> release?

The Board typically creates a PMC under a particular scope and charters
that PMC with a set of actions - one of these it to establish the rules
(policies and procedures) that it will operate under.  As such a PMC is
for all intensive purposes is free to establish any rules it sees fit.
However, as you imply - there are general ASF policies - in fact there
are multiple "general ASF Policies". My understanding is that the
committers to project vote on a release plan (the voice of the
community) - a release manager, identified in the release plan
undertakes the work of release preparation.  On completion, it is the
PMC that endorces publication of release artifacts under a majority vote
with a quorum of 3.  Its a process I like because it rooted in a
community decision.

> 2. does this apply to all releases (alphas, beta, and so on) or just
> to full (stable) releases?

My understanding is that this is applicable to all.  For reference - I
make a distinction between snapshot releases - typically incorporating
some important new feature as distinct from offical Apache releases.  I
will normally publish a snapshot release on non-Apache hardware -
whereas with PMC published content I try to follow Apache distribution
rules/guidelines as best as possible.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell