incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator, exit and publication
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:29:24 GMT

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> A release requires 3 +1 and a majority of those voting, wherein
> the only people allowed to vote are the PMC responsible for that
> code.  In other words, the usual rules apply -- it is simply harder
> to get the votes.
>
> I am kind of surprised that folks think it would be any different.

:-)

Ok - going with Apache tradition - its not the PMC that makes the
decision of a *release*.  Its the committers in the incubator (who
basically represent a bunch of rather non-incubator interest groups).
Now assuming (folling classic Apache tradition), at least 3 +1 votres by
incubator committers are pulled together (not hard thing to riog if you
have an agenda), then according to Apache tradition the PMC is
responsible for endorcing publication.  Not the endorcement of
publication presumably implices that the Incubator PMC is endorcing the
engagement of legal liability for the artifacts that are published,
prior to the acceptance of the podling into the Apache communty.

Perhaps you can explain to me how the action of the Incuator PMC with
respect to publication of an artifact and its reciprical impications
towards the liability of the ASF is something that can be held up with
*integrity* while at the same time, the Incubator PMC has not
facilitated the exit of said podling.  If a podling has not exited -
then it clearly has not met Incuabtor exit criteria - then equally
clearly, the Board has not established due-diligence, therfore - on what
grounds can a release be published?

You cannot have one without the other.

Stephen.

--