incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions for Next Steps
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:56:38 GMT
On 9/24/2003 4:21 AM, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Peoples,
>
> I think in Incubator Musings we have a good first cut at a "process
> description" for Incubation.  This is a non-normative reference that I
> think could be put on the web site, subject to everyone being
> comfortable with the contents.
>
> On top of that, we need to try to put a concrete plan together around
> developing the actual policy documentation (i.e. normative reference).
> This would be based on the process description above, but would be more
> precise.
>
> So the following is a suggested way forward, placed here to start an
> argument^H^H^H^H^H^H^H so we can reach a consensus :>.  Treat as a stake
> in the ground and tear to shreds.
>
> 1.  Create a forrest xml source for the Incubation Musings and place
> onto web site.  This will require an OK from who?  (PMC?)
>
> If people are comfortable I will do the conversion and send to this list
> as a patch.

If you're willing to do the work for this, that's fine, but I don't see
a forrest-enabled version as a requirement.  At this point I think we
need to get to something votable.

> 3.  Do we want to create an "incubator-policy" list so that only those
> who want to need to see the detailed arguments.  I'm actually for this,
> as I can see this getting fairly detailed at times, which is not what a
> "general@" list is supposed to be for.  Happy to be shouted down though.

Given the amount of confusion over incubator policy, I think that we
should keep the discussion in general@.  If this is going to work,
people need to pay attention.  As an alternative, we could do something
like the lists described in
http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/000678.html.  There's a tendency
to create mailing lists for short term tasks.  The lists then fall empty
and its a pain.  So perhaps Chuq's idea of side-rooms is a way to
accomplish the ability to work "on the side"

> 4.  The draft charter for the incubator project should be updated to
> reflect the thoughts of the last few days.  I think this should also at
> some point soon go into CVS so that it can be tracked, leading at some
> point in the short to medium term to a vote by the PMC.

I know that Nicola Ken has been participating in the recent discussions,
but I would like to know if the rest of the Incubator PMC thinks that
this is going in the right direction.

Ted