incubator-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Exit Criteria
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:06:03 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>
>>I've put something slightly different into the IncubatorMussings
>>document.  I've said that the Incubator PMC *recommends* to the
>>Sponsoring Entity (the receiving PMC) that something has completed,
>>needs to continue or fails.
>

> no, i don't think so.  the incubator is the sole arbiter of whether
> the podling has met the criteria of being a viable asf entity.
> if the original requesting project no longer wants it, that doesn't
> mean the podling has failed in its test of asf-ness; it just means
> the project doesn't want it any more.  and at that point, i think
> it would be up to the podling to say what they'd like to do, and to
> the other projects to say whether they would accept it.  if none do,
> and the podling wants to sytay at asf, then i think it should go to
> the board to consider creating a new tlp for it.

Yes I agree.

But...

I see two very distinct responsibilities coming out.  One is the
Incubator.  It is the (almost) final arbiter (the board is the final) of
whether or not something is ready to be part of the ASF.  It makes no
judgement whatsoever as to whether or not an end PMC should take on a
particular code base.

The second responsibility rests with the entity that will "own" the code
base.  That entity has to be willing to take the code base on board.
There will be one of two cases - it will be a sub-project of an existing
TLP.  That TLP then has to do whatever it needs to to take the code base
on board.  The Incubator cannot force that, so it needs to provide the
recommendation to the TLP that the code base is ready to come on board.

In the other case, the project is to become a TLP.  In that case, the
Incubator again cannot force the issue.  It can only place a
recommendation to the board that the code base is ready.  The board has
to vote.

I firmly believe that a Sponsoring Entity can argue the recommendation
at any point in time.  We all report to yourself and the others on the
board - if I think something is ready (against the advice of the
Incubator) and have a good argument, then I *think* I can take that
argument to the board for final arbitration.  I would hope that that
would never happen, but I think that's the way it should work.

Or have I got this up completely wrong? :>.

Cheers,
	Berin