incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sub-project -> TLP
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:39:08 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Robert,
>
>I renamed the thread, which has nothing to do with the Directory project,
>and really no longer belongs here, but here it is.  Perhaps community@ would
>be better?
>

>>if you had said "i'll volunteer to help every jakarta sub-project
>>to realize that they want their own top level project" then i think
>>the response would have been different.
>>

>Why?  What do you think it would be different?  What do you see as the
>actual and/or psychological barriers that prevent mature projects from
>becoming TLPs?

As a committer on a (hopefully :-) mature Jakarta subproject (Struts), I
think there's another dimension here.  Can we articulate the advantages
of becoming a TLP in such a way that the idea sells itself?  Marketing
is about creating demand, not browbeating or threatening people into
acceptance.  Off the top of my head ... advantages include:

* Your own apache.org website, mailing lists, etc. (although this is more
  a marketing/perception issue than a real technical one -- a bookmark
  doesn't care if its "foo.apache.org" or "jakarta.apache.org/foo").

* Your own representation to the ASF board.  This is probably the
  most important single factor, to the extent that you can influence overall
  ASF policies more directly.

* Within the scope of the board resolution that authorized your TLP,
  you can create your own sub-projects, to better scale to a larger
  population of involved developers.

There are also potential negatives, not the least of which is the amount
of process related work being asked of people who just want to use their
available open source time on code.

Overall, I suspect the lack of a stampede towards TLP-hood has more to
do with lack of knowledge of the advantages, or indifference towards
them, and possibly fear that even mature subprojects that want to
graduate will have to undergo the incubation process :-), than it does
anything else.

>	--- Noel

Craig