incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <>
Subject Re: Exit Criteria
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:40:54 GMT

On 9/23/2003 12:10 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ted Leung wrote:
>> Meritocracy / Community
>>   Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
>>   No single organization supplies more than 50% of the active
>> committers (must be at least 3 independent committers)
> How do you assess that? Are we sure 50% is not too much? Will it take
> too much time?

For demonstrate an active and diverse development community - its one of
those that has an "I'll know it when I see it test".

As far as the 50% figure, I have my reservations about the amount of
time that it will take, particularly in the case of something like
XMLBeans, but some people were vocal about this figure in the past.  You
can call it the "anti-big-company" rule.

>>   The above implies that new committers are admitted according to ASF
>> practices
>>   ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
>>   Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within the
>> community.
>>   Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the community.
> Yup, this is important. We now have Apache projects that do not follow
> this rule sometimes and have to be reminded every time, so it's a good
> idea.

Part of the goal with incubation should be to raise the level of new
projects, so that they benefit from the experience of all.  That's all I
was trying to do there

>> (requriment on minimum number of such releases?)
> two?

That's two "Not official ASF releases" ;-)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message