incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Exit Criteria
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:16:12 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Exactly.
>
> The sponsoring PMC asks to have that project. This means that it *wants*
> that project and that community. Why would it change its mind?

Because of things happening during incubation. What if a podling becomes
a mutant during incubation, in the best case changing directions, and
requiring a change of receiving PMC, in the worst case because the
podling becoming a Hulk creature? Will the podling linger in incubation
forever, if the Incubation PMC and the receiving PMC differ in their
judgment about failure?

>> In that case (and I hope I'm wrong), why is the receiving PMC involved
>> then?
>

> Eh? In the same way the shepherd is, the sponsor is, etc. They are
> involved in helping out and seeing that the incubated project becomes
> *part* of the community.

Exactly. But failure *is* an option, I hope?

OT: a lesson I'm learning these days is that candidate podlings should
carefully consider whether they are an infrastructural/technological
framework, or a functional/user-use-case application. I believe the ASF
has better nurturing grounds for the former, rather than the latter.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org