incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: roles and responsibilities
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 05:52:57 GMT

On 9/22/2003 4:50 PM, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

>>From: Rodent of Unusual Size
>>

>>what's the role of the incubator pmc in this?  at the least, it's a set
>>of passionate asf people who are essentially in agreement about what
>>makes something a genuine 'apache'-style project, who review the
>>reports of the mentors and make suggestions and eventually vote on
>>whether the podling has become self-sustaining in the 'apache way' of
>>doing things.  in a more perfect world, the pmc members will involve
>>themselve more deeply than that in at least some of the podlings, so
>>they can observe at first hand, possibly providing guidance at first
>>hand (though preferably through the mentor).
>>

>Is it worth setting up some regular reviews of
>incubating projects?  Once every three months or
>the like?  If there is a requirement to review
>reports, then maybe that should be formalised?

 From the podlings point of view, I think that this would be good.
Actually from any point of view.

>>what's the role of a 'sponsoring pmc' in this?  solely as an observer
>>until the podling graduates.
>>

>Not sure I'm comfortable with this.  I'm not a
>very good Apache project if all I do is site
>around and observe.  If I say "I want this" then
>I should have some form of responsibility (and I
>agree this needs to be put in the form of an
>individual) to the outcome.  Not just as an
>observer.

I must have missed this the first time around.  I agree with Berin
here.  Before the incubator, all the responsibility would have been on
the sponsoring PMC.   I think that sponsoring PMCs need to take an
active role in helping projects move through the incubator.

Ted