incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Another cut at roles and responsibilities
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:43:30 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Stephen,
>
>Actually, I think you had it right the first time.  The XML Project PMC
>should take the first responsibility to find someone where their
>representative to stop doing his role.

Actually - I disagree.

If I say that the Board is responsible.  What I am saying is that there
is a shared responsibility on each and every member of the Board.  Now
in reality, that means that responsibility is diluted because if a go to
a Board Member and say - "hey - you are responsible" - the board member
can say to me - "what!, no - I am a member of a group and it is the
group that makes decisions - not I".  I then say - "so who is
responsible for the group" and the member says to me -"go talk to the
Chair".  So I go talk to the Chair - and I say to the Chair - "hey
Chair, your responsible, here is the issue" - and the Chair doesn't
reply to me for 14 days - but then I get a message - "Sorry Steve I
can't do anything about this".

So who is responsible and who is accountable?

In this scenario - the Chair is responsible and accountable (sorry Greg)
;-)  It is the prerogative of the chair to return a decision directly,
or, to reflect to me a decision of the members of the forum he/she
represents.  Either way - the Chair reflects the Board responsibility
and Greg carries the ultimate individual accountability.

Individual accountability is the subject here because we are talking
about the engagement of Apache Members or Officers to positions of
responsibility. And I, as a member of this community want to *assure* a
complete line of accountability for said responsibility - cradle to grave.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org