incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:41:17 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>We should ask ourselves if we expect to provide a home for extended
>>Perl, C or whatever APIs, naming services for those languages, etc.  If
>>the answer is "yes", then fine, we can all agree and move forward.
>

>>my opinion is that standards-based Directory + Identity services
>>could make up a natural "semantic domain" (actually more natural than
>>"XML") and we should focus on defining this domain, rather than what
>>languages or language-specific extensions will be supported (much as
>>that diminishes the importance of JNDI and the extended Java APIs that I
>>am personally looking forward to ;-)). Then we need to make the explicit
>>commitment that the core solutions implemented and the eventual TLP will
>>support *all* languages and *all* computing platforms. Can we all agree
>>to this?
>

> Yes, with the clarification added by Roy that the project only has to be
> welcoming and supportive of people who want to work on such things.

Yes, that's what I meant to say, with the additional commitment that the
core server products should not be designed or implemented in such a way
as to discourage or make non-Java extensions difficult. As long as we
keep things standards-based, that should not be a problem.

> But I don't believe that you need to feel that it diminishes "the importance
> of JNDI and the extended Java APIs that I am personally looking forward to
> ;-))" because *you* (and others) represent such a community to be welcomed
> and supported within the domain.

Thanks. Believe me, "we" feel very welcome here.  I just want to make
sure that in defining the domain we stay focused on the core services
and define and implement them in such a way that non-Java
extensions/applications also make sense, given the positive answer above.

Phil