incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Exit Criteria
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:02:25 GMT
I don't know if we want to tackle this at the same time as Steven's
document on entering the incubator, but at the moment I"m more focused
on how to get podlings out of the incubator rather than getting them in.

A while ago I proposed some exit criteria for XML beans -- I haven't
pushed them because we were waiting to get the CLA situation
straightened out.   Now that that's done and the code is in CVS, I want
to revisit these.  I've also added some items that Roy added to the
XMLBeans STATUS file in the incubator CVS.

There are a few XML beans specific items in this list, but I'd like to
propose that we start a discussion of exit criteria based on this list.

Legal (these should be done before code comes into the incubator, but
I'm including them for completeness)
  All code ASL'ed
  No non ASL or ASL compatbile dependencies in the code base
  License grant complate
  CLAs on file.
  Check of  project name for trademark issues

Meritocracy / Community
   Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
   No single organization supplies more than 50% of the active
committers (must be at least 3 independent committers)
   The above implies that new committers are admitted according to ASF
practices
   ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
   Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within the
community.
   Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the community.
(requriment on minimum number of such releases?)    Engagement by the
XMLbeans community with the XML PMC and other ASF sub communities,
particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my personal bias that
projects should pay an infrastructure "tax").
   Incubator PMC has voted for graduation
   XML PMC has voted for final acceptance

Alignment / Synergy
   Replacement of LGPL Piccolo parser with Xerces.
   Develop synergistic relationship with JaxMe in WS-Commons, also
perhaps with Axis.
   Use of any relevant Jakarta subprojects.

Infrastructure
   project CVS has been created
   project mailing lists have been created
   project mailing lists are being archived
   project bugzilla has been created.
   project has a subsite of xml.apache.org
   project complies with ASF mirroring guidlines
   project is integrated with Gump
   XMLBeans developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust
   Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community

Ted