incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <...@ispsoft.de>
Subject Re: Getting the distribution onto a download site somewhere ...
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:54:19 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> i disagree.  the lack of a release snapshot doesn't seem to
> interfere with sourceforge projects attracting people, and
> i don't see that it would be any different here.

The lack of release snapshots on sf.net is (IMO) the best indicator, that
the project isn't maintained well or even not at all. At least I cannot
remember a single case of a project without published files, where the CVS
did contain something useful.

> i think the point is that a podling is *not* part of the
> asf, and is therefore not entitled to distribute something
> with the asf's name on it.  if the podling graduates, i don't
> see any bar to whatever packages were built during incubation
> being retitled as asf ones.

There are several things I do not understand here. First of all, IMO, by
accepting a project for incubation, it is part of the ASF. For whatever
other reason am I expected to sign a contribution agreement at the
beginning? From your point of view, it would be suffigient to sign when
the project exits incubation.

Next, assuming that my point is wrong, I would assume that incubation is
targetted to be a process of transition. Which means, that a project is at
some point perhaps not completely ready, but with a sufficient progress.
What good does it, to insist in the "final 20 percent" or whatever you are
missing?

Finally, you should not forget that incubated projects are frequently mature
and well maintained. What good does it, to forbid them to publish, for
example, a release that is "identical to the last public release, except
that the package names are being updated". IMO this is the least what users
can expect to guide them in their own transition as soon as possible.

Jochen