incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:14:03 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> I have no problem with protocol-centric projects, and no problem with
> language-centric projects, but I do have a problem with protocol-centric
> projects that assume one implementation language is "best".  Those types
> of projects create failure conditions that are very messy from the
> board's POV.  So, if the project is going to be language-agnostic, then
> I want that written into the charter and growth anticipated.  If not,
> then I want that written into the charter and a different name given
> to this project.  Doesn't that make sense?

plus a project that is explicitly language-centric shouldn't grab
a generic name.  if this project *isn't* going to be the potential home
for a python (for example) implementation, then it shouldn't have
the generic name 'apache directory'.  otherwise it isn't fair to
potential newcomers with a different language bent.

we're not perfect in application; i'm not sure what would happen if
someone wanted to start a web server written in ada under the asf.
however, the httpd server project has its name from legacy so this
wasn't a consideration then. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"