incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:56:06 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>> Greg posted a message back on the 18th noting that a PMC vote on the
>>> entry of the project to the incubator would be kicked off under the
>>> private pmc@incubator list.  I don't know the specifics of Incubator
>>> voting policies but I guessing we will see a vote result early next
>>> week.
>>

>> I saw that.  Nonetheless, I still find it odd that there has been
>> virtually no "public" discussion of the merits of the proposal and I
>> felt the need to express my opinion.  No disrespect for the process,
>> de facto or documented, intended.
>

> Hmm, in general, the only discussions we ever hold in private are those
> relating to non-disclosure issues or personnel issues.  We would have a
> discussion and vote about the directory project on the general list.
> The reason we haven't is because it is being suggested to incubator itself
> rather than some other project or the board, which means it is waiting for
> us to arrange for a new chair.
>
> FTR, there is no such vote taking place in private.

Thanks for explaining this.

> Personally, I think it is an excellent proposal except for one item:
> Java is not the center of the universe.  Either this project should
> consider all languages (seems unlikely, unless you already have those
> other people in place), or the project should be named after the
> product name and not the whole category of software.  A name like
> "jeldap" (I've only seen that word used in relation to turbine)
> would get you past a number of hurdles.

After re-reading it, I agree that the proposal does emphasize the Java
aspects a bit more than the "Apache Directory" name would suggest.
There are three reasons for this: first, the initial code base is Java,
second JNDI and some of the extended APIs that the project will support
are Java APIs and third there is no small measure of delight being
expressed over the fact that recent JDK advances make a high-performance
Java-based LDAP server thinkable :-))

I would personally have no problem with changing the name to reflect the
Java/JNDI emphasis. While I would personally favor a nice animal (e.g.
or culturally neutral place name, I could also support a JAMES-like
moniker that brings the "J" out.  I don't much like "jeldap" or "JLDAP"
or anything else based on LDAP by itself, because I expect the naming
and identity services to emerge as equally important parts of the
project, enabled by the core directory services.  The only ideas that I
can come up with immediatedly are JANIS (Java Apache Naming and Identity
Server), which is a bit extreme (not mentioning LDAP at all) or JED
(Java Enterprise Directory), which doesn't say much. Any better ideas?

Thanks for the feedback.

Phil