incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Getting the distribution onto a download site somewhere ...
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:42:29 GMT
Copying to general@incubator for policy check.

On 9/20/2003 1:54 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> IIRC incubating projects should not create full releases (the reason
> being that the ASF makes a long term commitment to maintain all full
> releases) until the incubation process is finished (but this policy is
> something that should probably be checked with the incubator pmc).
> instead, unstable (milestone, alpha, beta, gold etc) releases should
> be created. these should be made available for download from the
> appropriate subdirectory of cvs.apache.org. (again, probably the pmc
> are the right people to ask about policy on whether they should be
> made available from an xml subdirectory download or a incubator
> download subdirectory.)

Robert,  I understand the concern here, but if there is a version that
has been finished / super tested, etc, it seems a little sily not to
make it stable.  If incubation were to fail, and xmlbeans ended up on,
say, Java.net, it's not going to change the quality of the code one way
or another.   I sort of thought that we already went through this with
the lists being @xml or @incubator

> if you're considering releases, then this might also be a good time to
> consider nightlies and gump (if there are not yet sorted out). gump is
> a meta-builder which re-builds and tests all jakarta projects (and
> many other apache projects) with the latest versions of each
> dependency each day. nightly builds are created every day and uploaded
> to cvs.apache.org. i would recommend that xml beans signs up for both.

+1