incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: ASF member role - accountable to whom
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:50:22 GMT
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> In such situation, (and I am embodin' cross-project participation)
> how can you measure *my* participation in the apache.org activities?
>
> ... This is really *what* I've wanted to know, because half of the
> *ASF members* are parcitipating "only" http.apache.org mailing lists,
> AFAICS.

is your question 'how is merit measured'?  if so, it's a good question;
if not, i'm unclear (again!) on what point you're trying to make.

as a couple of examples of why we frown on statistics: well, you've
already seen why it would be unfair to regard roy lightly just because
he doesn't post a lot.  and on other occasions, people who have changed
the copyright year embedded in the code can be (and mistakenly have been)
regarded as being very active on the basis of the statistics, even if
that's the only contribution they've made recently.

so much for using statistics on quantity to measure merit.  and quality
is highly subjective and not statistically measurable.  ergo, no stats. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"