incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:27:27 GMT

Phil:

Greg posted a message back on the 18th noting that a PMC vote on the
entry of the project to the incubator would be kicked off under the
private pmc@incubator list.  I don't know the specifics of Incubator
voting policies but I guessing we will see a vote result early next week.

Stephen.

Phil Steitz wrote:

> I have been following this thread with interest and have found the
> discussion very informative. Thanks to all who have provided insight
> for those of us with less knowledge and experience with the Apache way.
>
> I have been a bit surprised by the lack of discussion about the merits
> of the proposal per se.  Does this mean that all are agreed that a
> directory services implementation as described in the proposal would
> make a good asset for Apache?
>
> As an Apache committer (not an ASF member or even PMC member) who is
> committed to supporting the project, I would at least like to express
> my strong opinion that this would be a good thing for Apache.  Here
> are just a few reasons (mostly covered in the Proposal):
>
> * Several Apache projects (Geronimo, James, Tomcat) either have direct
>   immediate need or could be nicely extended by a robust, embeddable
>   directory serices implementation for JNDI, configuration management,
>   or identity management/authentication.
>
> * In addition to the basic JNDI and LDAP functionality described in the
>   proposal, platform independent identity management/SSO solutions
>   could be built on top of/natually extend this, providing
>   benefits/extension possibilities for WS, HTTP Server and other
>   projects. An ASF-licensed, "Apache-grade" directory implementation
>   could form the basis for Apache XACML, Liberty, WSS and/or other
>   emerging identity/auth related spec implementations. The embeddability
>   and extended APIs being planned by this project may open up some
>   exciting opportunities for efficient and scalable implementations of
>   these and other specs.
>
> * This project has already attracted significant interest and is likely
>   to attract a strong community (just my HO, of course :-)
>
> So, non-binding as my humble +1 may be, I think that this project has
> the makings of a very good asset for Apache, and I hope that we can
> sort out the organizational issues necessary to bring it in to the
> incubator.
>
> Phil

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org