incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:59:41 GMT
I have been following this thread with interest and have found the
discussion very informative. Thanks to all who have provided insight for
those of us with less knowledge and experience with the Apache way.

I have been a bit surprised by the lack of discussion about the merits
of the proposal per se.  Does this mean that all are agreed that a
directory services implementation as described in the proposal would
make a good asset for Apache?

As an Apache committer (not an ASF member or even PMC member) who is
committed to supporting the project, I would at least like to express my
strong opinion that this would be a good thing for Apache.  Here are
just a few reasons (mostly covered in the Proposal):

* Several Apache projects (Geronimo, James, Tomcat) either have direct
   immediate need or could be nicely extended by a robust, embeddable
   directory serices implementation for JNDI, configuration management,
   or identity management/authentication.

* In addition to the basic JNDI and LDAP functionality described in the
   proposal, platform independent identity management/SSO solutions
   could be built on top of/natually extend this, providing
   benefits/extension possibilities for WS, HTTP Server and other
   projects. An ASF-licensed, "Apache-grade" directory implementation
   could form the basis for Apache XACML, Liberty, WSS and/or other
   emerging identity/auth related spec implementations. The embeddability
   and extended APIs being planned by this project may open up some
   exciting opportunities for efficient and scalable implementations of
   these and other specs.

* This project has already attracted significant interest and is likely
   to attract a strong community (just my HO, of course :-)

So, non-binding as my humble +1 may be, I think that this project has
the makings of a very good asset for Apache, and I hope that we can sort
out the organizational issues necessary to bring it in to the incubator.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message