incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: ASF member role - accountable to whom
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:55:54 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>I am specific asking this in the context of the incubator policies.  If
>>I understand correctly, the policies require project sponsorship by a
>>member and from what member only sheparding. While parhaps with best
>>intent - it is excluding non-members from sponsorship and sheparding of
>>new projects.
>

> correct and by design.  part of the purpose of the incubator is to
> make sure new projects fit into our technical and cultural framework.
> assigning the mentoring process to a member, who has become a member
> by virtue of demonstrating knowledge of the framework, makes sense.
> allowing j random contributor who may or may not have a clear picture
> to mentor does *not* make sense, at least not to me.

(Coming in late since this thread was somewhat hidden by the funny
threading display in Thinderbird)

I just want to say that this requirement of sponsors which should be
members was totally unclear to me when I started talking and working
with the BEA peeps (Cliff Schmidt). So even if this was meant to be by
design, it wasn't very obvious from the information available at the time.

Ted took over my role at some point in time, something which I greatly
appreciated. Still, if I would have known this before, I might have been
looking for a sponsor sooner.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org