incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF member role - accountable to whom
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:17:46 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>What is the Incubator's purpose?  What I am told from multiple sources (I
>have asked about this out of interest), is that the Incubator is to be used
>whenever a substantial codebase (a sub-project) is brought in from outside
>the ASF, regardless of whether it is going to be a sub-project or a new TLP.
>As I understand it, the Incubator PMC is charged with ensuring not just
>successful community building, but the legal protection of the Foundation.
>In my view, the sponsor should take responsibility, and not leave it up to
>the Incubator, but the Incubator PMC is going to act as a gatekeeper making
>*sure* that it happens.

The words "the sponsor should take responsibility" is something I agree
with and is the first tangible link to a rationale between sponsor and
Member that I have seen so far.  Can I ask you to fill this out in a
little more detail.  For example, if a Member undertakes such a
resonsibility, to whom is the member responsible and what would be the
scope of such a responsibility?  The answers to these questions will go
a long way to addressing the subject of this thread.

Stephen.

p.s. Please keep in mind that I looking at this in terms of documeted
incubation procedures - not in terms of a specific projects, Members, or
non-Members.

SJM

--

Stephen J. McConnell