incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <>
Subject Re: ASF member role - accountable to whom
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:29:12 GMT

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>I am specific asking this in the context of the incubator policies.  If
>>I understand correctly, the policies require project sponsorship by a
>>member and from what member only sheparding. While parhaps with best
>>intent - it is excluding non-members from sponsorship and sheparding of
>>new projects.
>correct and by design.  part of the purpose of the incubator is to
>make sure new projects fit into our technical and cultural framework.
>assigning the mentoring process to a member, who has become a member
>by virtue of demonstrating knowledge of the framework, makes sense.

But also excludes non-Members irrespective of their technical/culteral
affiliation with the subject and Apache.

>allowing j random contributor who may or may not have a clear picture
>to mentor does *not* make sense, at least not to me.

Nobody is talking about j random. This is a question as to why Membership
is a prerequisite.  So long as membership is a prerequisite the policies
exclude other members of the Apache community from sponsorship or
sheperding. They may be strongly associated with a project, perhaps on
an existing PMC, maybe a member of the board, and well integrated into
the Apache Way, and yet - for some reason, that individial is barred from
sponsoring and sheparding a project.

>>Given a policy that equates to an exclusion of Apache
>>contributors - they needs to be some form of accountability by members
>>towards non-members on matters concerning incubation.
>why?  the foundation is and is owned by the members, not by the
>non-members.  the members have a perfectly legitimate right to
>determine what will and will not become part of the foundation.

There are seperate questions here.  What will and will not become a
part of the foundation should be a decision on the Board (either
directly or via a existing PMC).  That subject is distinclty different
from the subject of discrimination between Members and non-Members
relating to sponsoring and sheparding.

Stephen J. McConnell

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: