incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <...@ispsoft.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:01:35 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> I think that you are raising an orthogonal issue.  You are talking about
> wanting to be able to keep up with the ASF more easily and effectively.  I
> don't disagree with you, but I don't think that it is any easier to locate
> content on one massive web site with tons of large sub-projects.  As we
> develop better tools to communicate, perhaps it would help to have RSS feeds
> such that you could customize an RSS aggregator to track those feeds that
> you care about.

I agree, that this topic *can* be ortogonal. However, currently it isn't, as
  you well know. The various Apache sites are related as much as the various
sf.net projects - perhaps there is a link to another project, perhaps not.
In fact, sf.net has a little bit better guidance through categorization and
foundries, Apache hash none, at least not between TLP's.

I would still like to remind you that "anything top level" is not a good
answer. I can hardly imagine that the U.S. could be ruled by a goverment of
town mayors. This is not only from the users view. For example, by bundling
subprojects you will better be able to find a common direction, because they
will necessarily have some sense of "I better find an agreement with my next
  neigbours". For example, guess such silly examples as the choice of a
logging tool. In a TLP like db.apache.org, you will most probably find an
answer between subprojects. Within various TLP's you will find none, even if
it were the same projects, just because they have no relationship.

A word quite frequently used here is "community". Don't you think that the
communities of jakarta, db, or xml are worth being kept? They would not even
exist if anything were a top level project.

Jochen