incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 05:27:52 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I would support JetSpeed+Pluto+WSRP4J+possibly others
>>eventually becoming [a TLP].
> Agreed.  Other candidates that have been suggested by one person or another
> include:
>    Turbine
>    Velocity
>    Lucene (or to
>    Struts

I have a question, which has (IMO) not been answered in the current
discussion: What is the advantage for me as an Apache user (client, whatever
you call those mere people like me which are simply following from the
outside, doing downloads from time to time).

My personal opinion is that the usability of the Apache Project degrades
strongly with any new TLP. I remember a time when I had to follow,, and and had the feeling
to know the most important thing. For example, new subprojects, new releases
(difficult in the case of, btw, which is almost *never* using
its own "news" page ... :-), the stuff I want to know.

Things changed. Coccon got TLP, Ant got TLP. The result is, that I have to
watch two websites more. What good is that for? Now I am reading that I
probably have to do the same for a lot of other projects in the future. Shit!

I have no idea of the organisational rationale behind the desire for more
TLP's. Personally I have serious doubts that it is a good decision: AFAIK
any TLP is sending his chair to the board, and I do not believe, that a
board of hundred people is better to manage than now. Likewise, I do not
believe that a discussion between hundred TLP's will succeed faster than
between ten. But that's your side.

However, if you really think there is reason for more TLP's, *please*
consider to keep a reasonable hierarchy for those silly users like me.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message