incubator-general mailing list archives

From Murray Altheim <m.alth...@open.ac.uk>
Subject Re: XNode 1.1 API submission
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:20:34 GMT
Aleksander Slominski wrote:
 > Murray Altheim wrote:
 >
 >> Hi all,
 >>
 >> This is a proposal for a metadata API for use in Xindice, though it can
 >> be used more generally for adding an XML metadata wrapper around an XML
 >> node. In short, it's SOAP-like, but *actually* simple.
 >>
 >> Brian suggested I join this list and make the proposal here. I've
 >> included
 >> my initial message below, unedited. (I've still not heard at all from
 >> Sun.)
 >>
 >> Anyway, I'm wondering what is the easiest, lowest-pain way to approach
 >> getting XNode 1.1 submitted to the Apache project. I'm under no IPR
 >> commitments at the Open University (I checked), so I can freely fill
 >> out whatever forms are necessary. If people want it, I can post the
 >> API javadocs or send them to interested parties. It's pretty small,
 >> 7 files, 9K compressed.
 >
 > hi Murray,
 >
 > please send it to me - if it is open source send me also source code or
 > pointer where it is available (or previous version is available).
 >
 > i think have similar API - one of its goal is also to make processing of
 > SOAP headers described as infoset much easier - the API is translating
 > XML Infoset constructs into Java interfaces (like XmlElement) and is
 > available as part of MXP1/XPP3 (it as open source ).
 >
 > i would like to better understand what problem you solve and how
 > approaches are different.

Alek,

Because there seems to be some issue about the license, I'm probably
safer (we're all probably safer) if you don't have access to the code
itself yet. I'll go ahead and create the javadocs for the latest version
and post them online. I'll send a message to this list as soon as I'm
done, probably in a day or so. If you haven't heard from me by Saturday,
send me a reminder. If there seems to be some consensus on licensing,
I'll go ahead and make the code available (i.e., it's probably not a
good idea to distribute something with an Apache package name and an
Apache license without first getting approval from ASF).

Thanks for your interest,

Murray

Murray Altheim                         http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK                    .

   The Office of Special Plans (OSP) was set up by the defence secretary,
   Donald Rumsfeld, to second-guess CIA information and operated under
   the patronage of hardline conservatives in the top rungs of the admini-
   stration, the Pentagon and at the White House, including Vice-President
   Dick Cheney. The ideologically driven network functioned like a shadow
   government, much of it off the official payroll and beyond congressional
   oversight. [...It] also forged close ties to a parallel, ad hoc intelli-
   gence operation inside Ariel Sharon's office in Israel specifically to
   bypass Mossad and provide the Bush administration with more alarmist
   reports on Saddam's Iraq than Mossad was prepared to authorise.
   http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,999737,00.html

   (my longest .sig!)