incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:42:26 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I would support JetSpeed+Pluto+WSRP4J+possibly others
>>eventually becoming [a TLP].
>
> Agreed.  Other candidates that have been suggested by one person or another
> include:
>
>    Turbine
>    Velocity
>    Lucene (or to db.apache.org?)
>    Struts
>
> separately or in some semantically related combination.  Lucene, for
> example, doesn't get nearly the "mindshare" that it ought.
>
>>One thing that should be abundantly clear is that every Jakarta code
>>base that has desired to become a top level project has had the full
>>support of the Jakarta PMC in achieving this goal.
>
> I don't doubt it, and the proof ought to be in the ones that have already
> done so.  I do ask if the PMC doing anything to help encourage other
> projects to matriculate?  I must stress that is a question, not a backhanded
> comment.  I really have no idea.

Absolutely.  Those that have remained in Jakarta are because of strong
desire to be there.  In particular, I remember a pretty strong reaction
by Turbine when the suggestion was made that they should become a TLP.

It took repeated attemps to get Ant to "matriculate".  And significant
effort for Avalon.  James is the only project that I recall that did it
of their own initiative.

> 	--- Noel

- Sam Ruby