incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] PMC Vote to incubate Directory Project
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:04:55 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I'm +1 on Directory being in Jakarta if it is not possible for a TLP to
>>be an exit strategy, and then reassessing its TLP-ness later.
>
> If that were an entry criteria, I'd agree with the concept, although Jakarta
> has too much on its plate and should probably be closed to new projects
> until more of the existing ones are promoted to TLP status, so I'd suggest
> DB, instead.  But it ought not come to that, given the Board's TLP
> directive.

Embedded in that first sentence is a statement that I think is a bit too
strong, IMHO.  Jakarta's growth rate has slowed down to a near stop.
Things with a strong affinity with existing Jakarta code bases and/or
desire to be in Jakarta should be considered, though I will be one of
the first to propose alternatives whenever possible.  For example,
wsrp4j wanted to be in Jakarta, and I suggested ws.  Pluto has a strong
affinity for Jetspeed and is not ws based.   I would not suggest Pluto
as a TLP, but I would support JetSpeed+Pluto+WSRP4J+possibly others
eventually becoming one.

I would not like to see Pluto's acceptance gated on this, however.

One thing that should be abundantly clear is that every Jakarta code
base that has desired to become a top level project has had the full
support of the Jakarta PMC in achieving this goal.

- Sam Ruby