incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: roles and responsibilities
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:42:10 GMT

On Monday, Sep 22, 2003, at 04:37 Europe/Rome, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Berin,
>
>>> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?IncubatorMussings
>>
>> Had a read.  Great stuff :>.
>
> At a quick glance, I see some things to change.
>
>  - there has not been stated a minimum community size to start
>  - it has been explicitly stated that a project does NOT need
>    to have its exit destination known at entry time.
>
> Clearly a project will not leave the Incubator without meeting those
> criteria, but they are not required entry criteria.
>
>> What is the break up of responsibility between the Incubator
>> PMC and the Sponsoring PMC in cases such as XMLBeans.  In
>> these cases, the Sponsoring PMC seems to take on much of the
>> role that is discussed in the document.
>
> In my view, the Sponsoring PMC *should* take an active role.  But the
> Incubator PMC is still responsible for making sure that all of
> criteria are
> met before letting it into the ASF proper.  Looking over the document,
> the
> Sponsoring PMC would be in the role of Sponsor, and is invested in
> project
> and Community building, whereas the Incubator PMC is still acting as
> the
> gatekeeper, ensuring the legal protection of the ASF.  Whatever tasks
> the
> Sponsor overtakes to help shephard the project, which can reduce the
> workload on the Incubator PMC, the Incubator PMC still has that final
> responsibility.

I agree with the principle (otherwise we get back to complete PMC
incubation independence and things blow up) but there are a few things
worth asking:

  1) how do people get on the incubation PMC? any committer? only
members? members and officials? everybody committer that previously has
a record of helping incubation? just curious of what feelings are.

  2) isn't the incubation more an oversight group, a task force, then a
project?

  3) shouldn't the sponsor PMC provide periodical updates on the status
to the incubator?

I know the above sounds utterly beaurocratic, but I can't think of
anything simpler than this.

--
Stefano.