incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We want to donate a XML / Cocoon / EJB / WebStart - based CMS
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:33:21 GMT

Sascha-Matthias Kulawik wrote, On 28/08/2003 11.13:
> Hello,
>
> we've developed a XML-based Content Management System based on different
> technologies like Cocoon, EJB, JBoss and a WebStart Client Application.
> It is in our interest, that we contribute this project with about
> 200.000 Lines of Code to the Apache Foundation.

Sascha-Matthias, thanks for your interest in contributing to the Apache
Software Foundation.

One initial issue is JBoss, as it's LGPL. Apache projects can use only
Apache-compatible licenced libraries, and (L)GPL is not one of them.
Apache now is making Apache Geronimo now though, so that could be taken
care of in the future.

> I've also seen the fax
> from the Incubator Project, that contains the Agreement how we can
> contribute. I'm just interested, how we can do that.

First of all you should seek a sponsoring Apache member and possibly a
sponsoring PMC.

But even before, I suggest you to read the following pages:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html
http://incubator.apache.org/drafts/theapacheway.html

> It is still
> important for us, that we can commit to the CVS and are getting the
> leadership of this project - is this the normal way how code will be
> conributed? Is there any code-review before we can contribute the code?

If you donate the code to Apache, you will not have leadership in the
project. The project will work based on the Apache guidelines, and
decisions are taken by voting as described here:
http://incubator.apache.org/drafts/voting.html

> Thanks a lot for all the other Apache Projects and this will be a big
> thank you back for the community.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sascha-Matthias Kulawik
> JuwiMacMillan Group GmbH
>
> P.S.: The Name of the Product is "ConQuest", it's current Home Page is
> http://conquest.juwimm.net and it is already in use at some customers of
> us.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -