incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why solve a problem that doesn't exist?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:55:29 GMT

  Jochen, you wrote:

>Quoting Greg Wilkins <gregw@mortbay.com>:
>
>>However, open process is at least as important as open software.

True. Apache has a totally open development process.

>Agreed. But the ASF has just given a bad example on this (IMO).
>Following the discussions on Geronimo in the last days, my
>impression is that a lot of decisions (in particular architecture)
>has already made behind the scenes. I do not even know who took
>those decisions, or how they look like.

Well, you don't know them because they have simply not been taken at all.

In essence, what has happened is that some developers have proposed
Apache to start a J2EE project. Apache said, "hey, we have many parts of
the J2EE stack already, many Apache developers want to do it, other
projects have expressed interest in donating J2EE code to Apache in
these months... let's do it!".

So there is only a team of initial committers that have indipendently
done some work on this outside of Apache, before proposing it to us, as
other projects have taken their decisions before donating their
codebases to us.

The bottom line: no design decision has been taken, we have some code to
start on (which has still to be committed), a certification aim and a
bunch of volunteers. What happens now is only what these volunteers
decide to do.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -