incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Peer System status and the incubator
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:05:08 GMT

Tim Motika wrote, On 07/08/2003 0.30:
> Status note to the incubator about a previously proposed project:
>
> Before the incubator started, I sent a letter about donating
> PeerMetrics's Peer System (p2p platform and java impl) to apache.
> This was on the docket a year and more ago to be reviewed.
> Ken Coar pointed at the forming incubator and lurking on the list.

:-)

> The people I've talked to since as well as the forums say
> that the most important part of an apache project is its
> members, and that a community without an idea is far more
> important than a codebase without a strong community.

Not exactly, as a community without a project usually means "party" ;-)

But yes, Apache is here to ensure that projects outlive their creators
making communities take over the project, hence for us communities are
our main asset.

> The Peer System currently lacks this.  For being a good incubator
> candidate it needs this, so I am going forward on this first.
> We've applied the Apache license, gotten a source forge account,
> and I'm working on transiting PeerMetrics.com to PeerMetrics.org
> (dissolving the .com) to work on building this.  Doing things in
> one's spare time always takes awhile, especially trying to do
> them as they should be done, thus the delay...

Don't worry, we are always open ;-)

> When we have a stronger community then we can look at making
> a proposal...

How "strong" is the community now?
How "strong" would you reckon the community should become before applying?

> It's been exciting to see things go forward in the incubator in the mean time.

Yes, it is :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -