incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: where should the maven-generated website go?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:04:34 GMT

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 02:52  pm, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> James Strachan wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> One of the reasons for putting dynamically generated artifacts into
>>> CVS is that in the event of a recovery situation, CVS is on one
>>> server, and the web sites are on another, so recovery can be
>>> relatively quick.  It is unreasonable to assume that the
>>> infrastructure team has the tools, expertise or time to use each
>>> different publishing engine.
>
>> But the developers on the projects can easily do this for them? It
>> takes about 5 minutes to completely redeploy the website.
>
> You want to coordinate that for dozens of projects/sub-projects in
> real-time?  :-)

I'd have thought a simple file backup of such things would do? If the
backup gets trashed, the site would eventually be updated by a quick
ping to the PMCs.

> In any event, I was just giving a reason.  Personally, I'd normally be
> on
> the side of not storing generated artifacts in CVS.  Either way, it
> isn't my
> call.  :-)

:) Me neither.

OK for now we'll use CVS + tons of diskspace unnecessarily until
someone tells us otherwise :)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/