incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Why solve a problem that doesn't exist?
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:53:54 GMT

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 10:08 AM, Jack Frosch wrote:

> Open source projects typically solve a problem not addressed by
> commercial vendors, even if the problem is just the price being
> charged for the commercial solution. Yet we already have a very
> popular, open-source J2EE container in JBoss.
>
> Why must people's egos get in the way of common sense in our business
> as in so many?  Like Microsoft, it appears that Apache.org just wants
> to control everything - and that's just such a lamentable motivation,
> whether held by Microsoft or Apache.org.

I realize this is just a troll, but there's an interesting issue here -
what do you perceive the ASF controlling other than the license?  The
ASF isn't a commercial entity, it's not out selling anything or
competing with any company, and simply provides legal and
infrastructure support to open source projects.  You can take the code
and do with it what you wish...

geir

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)