incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [geronimo] Core Service Framework (Was: RE: Names & Projects)
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:47:58 GMT
Maybe a quicker answer to this thread is -  the core Geronimo container
is an EJB / MDB container which supports pluggable services via JMX.
Thats quite different to the scope of Avalon.

(Can you tell I've given up caffeine recently - my brains still a bit
fuzzy today :)

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 05:39  pm, James Strachan wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 05:18  pm, J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
>> Quoting James Strachan <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk>:

>>> register

>>> Not quite - it'll use JMX & JNDI to bind services into the core
>>> container (J2EE certified remember). Tomcat 4/5 will be one of those
>>> services that plugs into Geronimo along with things like Jetty,
>>> tyrex,
>>> openjms etc.
>>

>> so the core container will be code developed from scratch within
>> geronimo?  or
>> will it just an mbean server from mx4j?
>
> The core container has already been developed - we should be able to
> put it somewhere (CVS / web) soon I hope. Then hopefully things will
> be a bit more clear.
>
> A J2EE container is a little different from an Avalon container.
> Avalon is a generic service/component framework. The core Geronimo
> container is an optimised J2EE container developed from a great deal
> of experience and use of JBoss, OpenEJB & mx4j.  Its particularly
> geared towards EJB & MDBs.
>
> Its not unlike saying, why have 2 web application frameworks (ducks
> the usual JSP v Velocity v JSF v Tapestry kinds of debates). Whilst in
> the same general ballpark they have quite different motivations & use
> cases which leads to different code bases if you want to do them well.
> Like most things the devils in the details. However once the codes put
> somewhere (soon I hope) you'll be able to take a look and judge for
> yourself.
>
> Note like I said, there's no reason why you couldn't deploy an Avalon
> container inside Geronimo. So maybe a better way to look at this is
> you could embed Avalon into Geronimo if you wish - but for the
> foreseeable future the core container in Geronimo won't be based on
> Avalon itself.
>
> Remember most of the work is in the services that drop into Geronimo -
> so if you're trying to spread the Avalon word - I'd focus on that if I
> were you.
>

>> Not to rant too much on the subject, but Avalon's containers (ie-
>> Phoenix,
>> Merlin and Fortress) are designed to do just this.  JMX support
>> exists and
>> there's been some work done on proper JNDI support.  You can already
>> run Tomcat,
>> Jetty, OpenJMS and a host of other services within Avalon as it
>> stands now.
>
> I'm aware of that. Like I said - the devils in the details.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/