incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 06:37:26 GMT

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 11:21  pm, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> The private e-mail I got this afternoon pointing me at geronimo was
>> along the line of "so this is the @#%*(@ so-called OS organisation
>> you're a %@!)#(!) part of; ripping of and $%(^@& destroying JBoss.
>
>> I think you'd wan't some sensible answer to emotions like that,
>> somewhere on a prominent webpage.
>
>> I have one actual question: didn't anyone think about it making sense
>> to write up some stuff about that before making an announcement on
>> sites like slashdot?
>
> LOL  Yes.  Actually.  I wrote several such things, and with
> permission, I'll
> be happy to post or contribute.

Permission granted!

> I'm not an official member of this
> incubation team, but Geir and James both have access to my writings,
> and can
> use them as desired (or not).

My favourite quote in the whole discussion so far was this by you
Noel...

J2EE
is fundamentally an umbrella specification.  It consists of a whole set
of
other specs.  However, J2EE compatibility is based upon, as I
understand it,
a compatibility suite spanning the umbrella.

It isn't sufficient to have Three Rings for the Elven-kings in WS,
Seven for
the Dwarf-lords in their halls of XML, Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to
Jakarta.  You still need One Ring, not to rule them all, but to find
them
and bind them into a comprehensive release that can past the Dark Lord's
TCK.

:)

James
-------