incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [geronimo] Core Service Framework (Was: RE: Names & Projects)
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:39:25 GMT

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 05:18  pm, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Quoting James Strachan <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk>:

>> register
>>>>

>>> So geronimo will be built on top of Tomcat 5?
>>
>> Not quite - it'll use JMX & JNDI to bind services into the core
>> container (J2EE certified remember). Tomcat 4/5 will be one of those
>> services that plugs into Geronimo along with things like Jetty, tyrex,
>> openjms etc.
>

> so the core container will be code developed from scratch within
> geronimo?  or
> will it just an mbean server from mx4j?

The core container has already been developed - we should be able to
put it somewhere (CVS / web) soon I hope. Then hopefully things will be
a bit more clear.

A J2EE container is a little different from an Avalon container. Avalon
is a generic service/component framework. The core Geronimo container
is an optimised J2EE container developed from a great deal of
experience and use of JBoss, OpenEJB & mx4j.  Its particularly geared
towards EJB & MDBs.

Its not unlike saying, why have 2 web application frameworks (ducks the
usual JSP v Velocity v JSF v Tapestry kinds of debates). Whilst in the
same general ballpark they have quite different motivations & use cases
which leads to different code bases if you want to do them well. Like
most things the devils in the details. However once the codes put
somewhere (soon I hope) you'll be able to take a look and judge for
yourself.

Note like I said, there's no reason why you couldn't deploy an Avalon
container inside Geronimo. So maybe a better way to look at this is you
could embed Avalon into Geronimo if you wish - but for the foreseeable
future the core container in Geronimo won't be based on Avalon itself.

Remember most of the work is in the services that drop into Geronimo -
so if you're trying to spread the Avalon word - I'd focus on that if I
were you.

> Not to rant too much on the subject, but Avalon's containers (ie-
> Phoenix,
> Merlin and Fortress) are designed to do just this.  JMX support exists
> and
> there's been some work done on proper JNDI support.  You can already
> run Tomcat,
> Jetty, OpenJMS and a host of other services within Avalon as it stands
> now.

I'm aware of that. Like I said - the devils in the details.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/