incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@ThoughtWorks.net>
Subject Re: We want to donate a XML / Cocoon / EJB / WebStart - based CMS
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:39:10 GMT
Sascha,

>Yes, thats ok. I just want to make sure that at least one of our
>developers needs to be a committer for the project.

A small problem....

Apache is concerned that teams arrive, and healthy communitys form and
continue. The manner in which the project arrives drives how many (if
any) committers arrive.

If you are donating code to an existing project (project at the level of
a build file) it is likely that the code will arrive before the
committers do.  The normal rule of thumb for a person submitting patches
on an frequent basis to a project is that after a few months they may be
proposed and voted on for committer status. For a person that donates a
considerable amount of code or someone who's already an Apache committer
it could be shortened I guess.  Tis a little muddy concerning a group
who donate code to a project.

For group/projects applying for Apache project status themselves (under
Incubator, Cocoon, etc etc), the team would all arrive (or a sensible
subset of people active for the last six months of the project in its
prior incarnation). They'd fill out the forms and get accounts. A aulity
control should be applied by the team to only really take the people who
are active. The polite thing to do one exit from, say, sourceforge would
be for all in the team to agree who is dropping off the project before
arrival to Apache. An assumption of course that the project is accepted
on application.  Please do your research (mail archives etc), before
embarking on this route.

The point is that "I just want to make sure that at least one of our
developers needs to be a committer for the project" is not a usual
posting. You have to be mindful that the community around the code (for
new projects) is more important that the code or the needs of one
person. And mindful that a collection of classes to and existing
codebase is just a large patch.  As such and "..I need.." and "..one
developer.." is undesirable wordage.

I'm not trying to discourage, just set expectations.

Regards,

- Paul H
(with Nicola, Incubator PMC member)

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...