incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: AW: We want to donate a XML / Cocoon / EJB / WebStart - based CMS
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:05:01 GMT
Sascha-Matthias Kulawik wrote:

> No, it is also in our interest, you're right :) It is a little bit of
> "we want to give the community something back", something of
> "reputation", some interest of good ideas of other developers and so on.

The primary work area for incubating ASF projects should be the
community around a project. So in general, it is deemed a good practice
if the candidate incubating project starts adapting ASF project
guidelines prior to entering incubation.

In this particular case, this would mean you should be thinking about
how to attract new developers right now. They won't come automagically
by moving into the ASF incubator, if there's isn't a sense of
meritocracy already. Also, I believe there is an inverse relationship
between the size of a given codebase, and the number of possible
contributors it can attract. For large codebases, there might be too
much to learn, and too many things already been decided upon, that
potential new contributors can be scared away, if the incubating project
doesn't spend enough time on these critical aspects.

Anyway, even though I might sound a bit pessimistic, I just wanted to
warn you that the process of acceptance and incubation might be longer
than you would expect.

Cheers,

</Steven>