incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Creating graveyard.apache.org
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:23:25 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote, On 15/08/2003 0.04:

> Nicola,
>
>>On the Jakarta project we are removing a sub-project. Xml.Apache has
>>others in "hibernation" and others will surely follow.
>
> Just out of curiousity, why did you raise this on Incubator?

As it's the opposite of incubation.

> The infrastructure team is already preparing archive.apache.org for this
> purpose.

This is the technical part, and there is more to it, as policies wether
a project is to be graveyarded, and how. There are also issues about
what to gather from dying projects.

We could say that the graveyard is a feedback loop to the incubation.

> As you know, all releases are supposed to go under
> www.apache.org/dist.  http://archive.apache.org has a mirror of the
> distribution site, the difference being that soon projects will be asked to
> clean off historical releases from the distribution site to cut down on
> demands made on mirrors.  However, archive.apache.org will always have all
> releases going back in time.

One thing is releases, ie program artifacts, and another is project
resources.

> Removing the web site is a related topic that should be addressed.  Brian
> just did this for java.apache.org, which will now direct you to
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/java/.

If this is all there is to it... ok.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -