incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Rob" <>
Subject RE: To those interested in helping out
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:22:40 GMT
Perhaps since the traffic on this list isn't too large, you can post a "How
to Help Out" every day, or every other day.

Or what about putting it on the footer of the mailing list?

So add the line I marked:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:
***** To find out how you can contribute, visit

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Behlendorf []
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 3:05 PM
Subject: RE: To those interested in helping out

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> James Strachan asked:
> > Can the mailing list software automatically detect that the sender
> > isn't on the list and that they mention Geronimo in the mail and
> > send an automated reply?
> You'd have to ask infrastructure.  Hopefully the volume of such requests
> will dwindle as people find the project's page.

Um, this list and geronimo-dev are both configured to bounce any messages
from non-subscribers to the moderator (moderators for general@ are gstein,
geirm, and coar, moderators for geronimo-dev are gstein, geirm, and jim,
all who then can decide whether to approve that message to be
passed along to the rest of the list.  The moderator has other options: if
it's spam they can just ignore the moderation request and it'll be culled
from the queue after 10 days.  Or, they can reject the message, and give a
reason for the rejection, and that reason will go back to the original
poster.  I suspect the moderators are taking the fast approach (due to
volume) and approving messages through rather than rejecting them with a
reason.  The list configuration could be changed to reject all messages
from non-subscribers, and the message for that blanket rejection can be
configured to give pointers to the project web page, etc.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: