incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <>
Subject Re: Invitation to xmlbeans-dev
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:08:29 GMT
On 7/31/03 10:19 AM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <> wrote:

> wrote, On 31/07/2003 16.13:
>> Berin,
>> Personally, I'm undecided about Steven Noels request to become
>> a committer. In the same way that I am a relative unknown to
>> you, Steven and Ted are new acquaintances. In fact, all of the
>> current committers are new acquaintances to me. So my dilemma is
>> do I say, "Bring 'em on, the more the merrier" or do I say, "Why
>> don't we wait until the current committers have bonded before
>> we add someone new." I'm straddling the fence.
>> I did think that Ted made a good point earlier: The ratio of BEA
>> to non-BEA committers is high and adding committers at this point
>> could be interpreted as "padding".
>> I'd love to hear how the other committers feel. Perhaps that will
>> tip me to one side or the other.
> AFAIK usually a couple of mentors are added to the committers list. This
> happened with POI AFAIK for example.
> I would keep this, as it helps by example (not on code necessarily but
> at least about how to manage things), and makes it possible to have more
> active oversight to the CVS codebase.

No this did not happen with POI.  Stefano was added as a mentor but never
acted as a committer, cast no binding votes, etc.  You were added because we
valued your contributions on the project and wished to recognize them.

I think adding folks as committers is fine, but only *active* committers
(people who actually vote AND commit code into the code base) should count
towards judging vitality.

Andrew C. Oliver
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

To unsubscribe, e-mail: